Most job positions and foreigners require an LMIA and a Work Permit, others only require a work permit, and some do not require a work permit at all.

To find out if an LMIA and/or Work Permit is required, refer to the categories below.

a) Jobs that require a positive LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) in addition to a Work Permit

b) LMIA Exempt Jobs & Foreigners

c) Work without a permit

d) Open Work Permit (OWP)

e) Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

f) International Experience Class (IEC)

This program is designed for young individuals between 18 - 35 to come to Canada and work on a temporary basis (1 or 2 years).

​Citizens of specific countries with a bilateral youth mobility arrangement with Canada who are between 18 and 35 years old can get an Open Work Permit to work in Canada. See the list of countries here

​The IEC program is composed of three categories:

Working Holiday

Participants in this program can receive an open work permit, valid for one to two years. Open work permits allow participants to work anywhere in Canada for almost any Canadian employer. Nationals of some countries may be allowed to stay in Canada for more or less than one year.

Young Professionals

​Under this program, citizens of participating countries can gain valuable international experience by working for a Canadian company. A signed job offer letter or contract of employment with a Canadian employer related to the applicant’s professional development is required before applying.The job offered must be classified as a National Occupation Code (NOC) Skill Type Level 0, A, or B.

International Co-op

 This program allows citizens of participating countries who are enrolled at a post-secondary institution in their country of citizenship to spend a period of time interning for Canadian companies. Participants must arrange co-op placements with Canadian employers before applying. Applicants must be registered students for the duration of the internship.

g) Work while Studying

h) Post Graduation Work Permit