Temporary Resident Visas (Visitor Visas) and eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) for Canada

Canada welcomes more than 35 million temporary residents (non-immigrants) each year. Except for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, all other individuals require permission to enter Canada as a visitor and require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an eTA (electronic Travel Authorization), unless they are US Citizens.

The following foreigners need either a TRV or an eTA:


Temporary foreign workers (individuals with work permits)

International students (individuals on study permits)

Business Visitors


  1. Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents

    ​A great way to bring Parents and Grandparents to Canada is through the Super Visa program. This program allows family members to come to Canada as long-term visitors on a multiple entry visa that may last up to 10 years.  A Super Visa is valid for 2 years before it has to be renewed.

  2. Business Visitors

    ​​There are a number of reasons why an individual may come to Canada as a business visitor, including:

    ​Attending business meetings, conferences, conventions, fairs, etc

    • Buying Canadian goods or services on behalf of a foreign entity
    • Taking orders for goods or services
    • Providing after-sales service, excluding hands-on work in the construction trades
    • Being trained by a Canadian parent company for work outside of Canada
    • Training employees of a Canadian subsidiary of a foreign company